Welcome.

I always thought of blogs as being narcissistic, business related, or as my sister's, a way of keeping in touch or memorializing.

But, by necessity, I am learning a lot about myself. I find I need to get my thoughts out, and it helps me to know that someone else will read them. So I have created this little space for myself, to express the things I have trouble saying (be it emotional or physical trouble), to share what I'm going through, and what I'm learning through it.

I absolutely welcome comments. It's nice to know how people relate to what I'm saying.
To send me a private message, please e-mail me: flylittlewordsfly@gmail.com
Subscription links are at the bottom of the page

Friday 8 April 2011

Un-Lazy Day

I did nothing productive today. And yet, I did do plenty, for me. I managed to empty and refill the dishwasher, go to the library and make myself a proper dinner. I even got a bit of knitting in - then I realized I goofed, and am in the process of undoing a couple of rows. Bah.

A lovely friend of mine wheeled me around Ikea earlier this week, and we picked up a couple of things to make my life easier. One is a folding bar stool. Which I have yet to fold. It sits quite happily in the middle of my kitchen, ready to accomodate my bottom at any given moment. It's wonderful!

I can now actually do some light meal preparation. The double whammy of standing for an extended period of time and moving my arms was just too much. But now, I can sit while I sautee, or spread jam, or even - gasp - scrub the tougher dishes in the sink. It seems like a small thing, but in my world, it's huge. My kitchen is back under control. You can call off the haz-mat team.

Also under control are the clothes that were starting to pile up in my bedroom because it took too many marbles to open drawers and bend down, or hang them up properly. My friend pointed me towards a lovely hanging shelf thingie, which now holds the clothes that are not-so-nicely folded that I use on a daily basis. Everything is within reach at waist height. No higher, no lower. Perfect! And guess what - there was actually a lovely wooden floor under all the clothing! Amazing.

The library was my one outing today. I love how they're all hi-tech now, and I can reserve books online, go in and scan them out myself. This means I can browse the collections without spending time walking around, and I don't have to wait for a librarian.

I'm enjoying being able to do light reading once again as the brain fog subsides a little bit. I'm still having trouble reading expository work, or hard-core literature. It's too much to decode the words and search for meaning, never mind try to learn something or grasp themes and allusions. But reading as an alternate escape to television - now that I can finally do, and I am thrilled!

So while I had a quiet day, and a rather lazy one (I killed lots of monsters on gemcraft, though), I'm really rather pleased with how much I really did do. It never ceases to amaze me how I actually do so much more than it feels like I'm doing. What a lovely way to end the day.

1 comment:

  1. If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this:Someone flattened by an opponent can get up. Someone flattened by conformity stays down for good.
    ~~~Thomas J. Watson Jr.~~~

    ReplyDelete